System & Application Software
Learning objective is to answer follow questions?
- What is system software? How is it different from application software?
- Describe the major functions of an operating system.
- What are the functions of the three types of system software?
- What is a JCL? What functions does it perform for an application program?
- For what kind of job would you use a utility program?
- Briefly describe the two types of operating systems.
- Why is an interrupt-handling capacity necessary for an interactive operating system?
- What are the disadvantages of the batch-serial approach to computer job execution?
- How does multitasking overcome the disadvantages of the batch-serial approach to computer job execution?
- Explain the concept of job rotation in a multitasking system.
- What is paging?
- What are the advantages of virtual storage?
- How are time-sharing, interactive computing, and multitasking related?
- Give an example of a multiprocessing system